Creating a "mail gateway"

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 11 20:55:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:20 PM, R. T. <spamstinksmmmkay-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> A couple bonus points:
> - GAFYD is free; both in terms of subscription, your time, and his time.
> - POP3... check, IMAP... check. Jabber... check.
> - Calendar does ical, Docs do Word, Excel, and PowerPoint... as well
> as the OpenOffice formats, PDF, HTML, CSV, and so on.
> - These people seem to like it:
> http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/admins/customers.html
>
> If platform evangelism is really more important than running the
> business and making money, why would a Linux VPS be involved in the
> first place? That money is better spent on Hosted Exchange.

I think you're not getting my point.

My dad wants an Exchange server running in his house handling his
email (and whatever else Exchange handles).  I've told him a number of
times that there are a myriad of other solutions that would be easier,
would not require working around Rogers, would be cheaper, might be
more secure, would provide more features, would provide better uptime,
etc.  He's not interested.  You know why?  Because none of the other
solutions involve running an Exchange server in his basement, handling
his email locally.  So thank you.  GAFYD is a _great_ idea.  It's not
going to work for my dad.

Ideally, he'd have an ISP that doesn't muck about with his traffic,
and he'd run Exchange with no intermediaries besides a good firewall.
Ideally, he'd probably be on TekSavvy and this discussion wouldn't
have to happen.  In real life, he's stuck with a pain-in-the-ass for
an ISP and the Linux VPS is just a work around that I think might
solve his problem.  It's a _Linux_ VPS because I happen to think I'll
be able to configure it as a router and Linux VPSs seem to be cheaper
than the alternatives.  The only guiding principle here is that
Exchange should be the mail server and Rogers shouldn't have to care.
Any solution that permits that arrangement is something we'd consider.
 Switching to a non-Exchange mail server running outside of my dad's
house is not something we'll consider.

Ian