Creating a "mail gateway"

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 11 20:20:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Ian Petersen <ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Jamon Camisso
> <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Try having exchange send mail to the etch VPS on port 2525 or some other
>>  high port that Rogers doesn't filter. On the VPS forward port 2525 to 25 to
>> let postfix relay for his exchange server e.g.
>> http://rimuhosting.com/support/settingupemail.jsp?mta=postfix&t=blockingisp#blockingisp
>
> I'm not sure I completely understand you.  You're suggesting that I
> run Postfix on the Etch VPS to accept outgoing mail from Exchange on a
> high port, and then forward it out the VPS in a "normal" way.
> Incoming mail is then handled by using iptables to redirect incoming
> port 25 traffic on the VPS to my dad's Rogers connection so that
> Exchange can receive it as if it had been sent directly there?  It
> seems like there's no need for a VPN in here, which sounds good
> because it ought to be simpler, but I didn't realize you could use
> iptables to redirect traffic all the way across the internet like
> that.

Sorry for replying to my own post here, but I had a thought after I
sent my previous email.  If I've understood you correctly, how do I
implement your solution without turning the VPS into an open relay?
It think it was the possibility of creating an open relay that made me
think a VPN would be necessary in the first place.

Ian