Creating a "mail gateway"

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 11 20:01:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Jamon Camisso
<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Try having exchange send mail to the etch VPS on port 2525 or some other
>  high port that Rogers doesn't filter. On the VPS forward port 2525 to 25 to
> let postfix relay for his exchange server e.g.
> http://rimuhosting.com/support/settingupemail.jsp?mta=postfix&t=blockingisp#blockingisp

I'm not sure I completely understand you.  You're suggesting that I
run Postfix on the Etch VPS to accept outgoing mail from Exchange on a
high port, and then forward it out the VPS in a "normal" way.
Incoming mail is then handled by using iptables to redirect incoming
port 25 traffic on the VPS to my dad's Rogers connection so that
Exchange can receive it as if it had been sent directly there?  It
seems like there's no need for a VPN in here, which sounds good
because it ought to be simpler, but I didn't realize you could use
iptables to redirect traffic all the way across the internet like
that.

> (This assumes Rogers isn't filtering based on content. In that case, you
> want to have TLS enabled and hope they don't throttle that down to near 0bps
> throughput).

Maybe, if TLS is necessary and Rogers throttles the encrypted traffic
right down, I'll be able to take R. T.'s advice and switch everything
over to Google for Domains--it'd be cheaper and easier for everyone
involved.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Ian