Rogers confuses me again

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 11 16:48:50 UTC 2008

A couple of family members got email:

http://your.rogers.com/newsletter1/images/SSR-B_G3.htm

I didn't really understand what it is saying the first couple of times
I read it.  This is what I think:

- rogers.com users have a "username".  These are NOT email addresses.

- each username has an associated email address.  I think "associated"
  only means that messages for the username are sent to the associated
  email address.

- this email address can be anything: it need not be an address
  provided by rogers.

- in the past, an email address could be associated with several
  usernames

  mathematicians: this is assuming that the "associated"
  relation is symmetric.  More properly, several usernames could be
  associated with the same email address.

- to "make it easier and more convenient for you to use" rogers is
  going to drop all but one username associated with an email address.

  How is dropping usernames (and hence access to some rogers
  functionality) going to make it easier and more convenient?
  (I too have thought of the sarcastic answer: the less rogers
  service you have, the easier and more convenient it is.)

- it is claimed that this message was sent to email addresses
  associated with more than one username.

  Our email addresses that got this, according to rogers own tools,
  don't, in fact, have multiple usernames.

- if you want to complain, or ask about this email, tough:  "You are
  receiving this e-mail as a registered user on Rogers.com.  Please do
  not respond to this message, as it is a system generated e-mail."

Grrr.