more mininotebooks

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 10 18:13:57 UTC 2008

The Asus EEE or perhaps the XO have spawned a new wave of small
notebooks.

I got an ad from HP promoting their HP 2133 Mini-Note PC units.  The
idiots sent me a US link, even though they know I'm in Canada.
There are more models in the US.

Canadian models are listed in increasing price whereas the US ones are
listed in the opposite order.  I wonder if that signifies a difference
in psychology.

US:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25b/321957-321957-64295-321838-306995-3687084.html

Canada:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF25b/12139188-12139280-12139280-12139280-12434628-82025076.html

On paper, this looks to have a lot of resolution (WXGA) for an 8.9"
display.  Via C7 CPU isn't strong, but is probably appropriate.

Differential analysis of US prices:

- replacing 4G flash disk with 120G HD, adding 512M RAM, and changing
  CPU from 1.0MHz to 1.2HZ costs $50 (10% increase).
  The specs list the same weight.  Battery time is not specified for
  the HD version.

- Vista Home Basic costs $50 more than  SUSE SLED 10

- Vista Business, downgraded to WinXP Pro, + bluetooth adapter, costs
  $130 more than Vista Home Basic

- going from 1.2GHz to 1.6GHz Via C7 costs $20

- but from there, the step up to 2G RAM from 1G is free (if you don't
  downgrade to WinXP from Win Vista).