VPN appliances (was Re:Looking for someone with Cisco PIX experience)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 9 03:37:46 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 04:57:23PM -0400, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> PPTP is based on RC4. A more accurate statement should be that PPTP is based
> on 128 bit RC4 which may not be suitable for all security applications.

I seem to recall Microsoft's implementation is worse than that.  At
least it used to be.  I guess that was almost 10 years ago so perhaps
they have improved on it slightly, although there still seems to be many
concerns over the possibility of spoofed control packets, weak
encryption, and such.  Use of PPTP certainly is simpler to setup, and
may be handy for making tunnels, but you don't really want to rely on it
if you actually care about the security of your data.

--
Len Sorensen