VPN appliances (was Re:Looking for someone with Cisco PIX experience)

Paul Nash paul-fQIO8zZcxYtFkWKT+BUv2w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 8 18:28:29 UTC 2008

>) we are leaning towards
> dumping the PIX in favour of a simpler device

I have used DLink's small routers (DI-808 IIRC), which supportthe
MS-PPTP client *but* have to have the default route on the remote
network as they cannot assign IPs on the host network for some reason.
They are not the most reliable in the world, but work OK.

I used a Linksys box (RVL200 IIRC) with SSL VPN more recently, and the
client is overjoyed.  It only works with Windows/IE, but is easy to set
up and trivial to use -- point a browser at the device to get the login
page, enter username & password to start the tunnel via an Active-X
control, close the browser window to kill the tunnel.

I think that the Linksys RV042 supports MS-PPTP connections, if you
*really* want them.

	paul