MythTV Frontend Hardware

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 8 17:54:44 UTC 2008

Colin McGregor wrote:
> With the micro ATX motherboards route, appearance / speed /
> performance / cost / noise are all options you have some wiggle room
> on.
> My current target for my new FE box is $200 (Cdn.), a target I don't
> think I will quite make, still, I do expect to be under $250. A few
> things, this will be a diskless box, net booting off the main FE/BE
> box (so, no hard drive(s), DVD ROMs, etc.,) thus knocking ~$100+ off
> the cost of a more conventional box. Keyboard / mouse are coming out
> of my spare parts bin (again lowering costs). I have selected (and
> bought on Saturday) a case, a SilverStone SST-SG02-F in black (bought
> from Canada Computers (who have several locations in the GTA)). Still
> debating CPU/motherboard picks...

At work we're using fanless Mini-ITX boards build around VIA X86-style
processors.  Small, very quiet, very low power, fairly fast (up to 1.2
GHz).  The prices would still stress your target budget.. motherboards
from about $170 plus a $90 case/psu.  Expandability could be a problem
-- room for only 1 PCI card is normal.

Some guys near Barrie were retailing this kind of thing as mini-pc.ca
.  Their web site still lists the merchandise, although they say
they're leaving the business.  They'll sell you the business, but not
the merchandise.  Their wholesaler was eprom.com, but that seems to be
wholesale only.

	Mel.