MythTV Frontend Hardware

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 7 19:55:00 UTC 2008

| From: Aaron Vegh <aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I've lately been attempting to research hardware that would be
| suitable for a Myth Frontend machine. I'm having a hell of a time with
| it, as it turns out. My requirements are:

I have an AppleTV which I intend to use as a Myth frontend, but I
haven't had the time to do the required hacking.

There is a MythTV frontend port but it hasn't been rebuilt for the
current Apple system software on the AppleTV.  Actually, the problem
is with an application needed to actually run it.

To develop for a hacked ApplTV, assuming that you want to run on top
of the Apple software, pretty much requires you to compile on a Mac.

I do have it hacked in a variety of ways.  For example, I can ssh in.

Some have run Linux on it instead.

| - Must playback HD video

Yes.

| - Must have gigabit ethernet

No.  100megabit wired; 802.11g wireless.

| - Must run either fanless or very silently

Quiet.  A bit hot.

| - Must have DVI output

Component out and HDMI.  Since HDMI is a superset of DVI, that ought
to be good enough.

| - Really want it to be under $400

I got mine for $200 from SiG.  I think that they are not an authorized
dealer.  They don't currently sell them.

Apple sells refurbs for not much more.