MythTV Frontend Hardware

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 7 12:20:26 UTC 2008

Hey Len,

>> I'm actually considering buying a used Mac Mini, with the Core Duo
>> 1.66 GHz processor -- it's a couple years old, and can be had for
>> under $500 on eBay. The Everex gPC Mini that just came out also
>> appears to have the right hardware, but at $500 US is too much money.
>
> What do those use for video?

the Mac mini has on-board Intel GMA950 video, with a DVI-out. Not sure
what the gPC is using, but it's running Linux so I'm guessing it ISN'T
an ATI...

> My current mythtv box would probably cost around $1200 to build, but it
> is a front and backend in one, with 1.2TB of disk space dedicated to
> mythtv, with a few hundred GB for other stuff too and way too much CPU
> power.  With a good case you barely ever hear it.

I have a FE/BE already; there should be a way to build an inexpensive
FE-only machine! But I think we're part-way there, thanks to this:

> A board like the Asus P5N-EM HDMI might interest you though.

Indeed! That does interest me. How the heck do you find stuff like
this? Getting the correct specs into some kind of motherboard
selector? I couldn't find anything that worked for me.

This looks like a solid start.

Cheers!
Aaron.

--