MythTV Frontend Hardware

Jose jtc-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 7 00:27:16 UTC 2008

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've lately been attempting to research hardware that would be
> suitable for a Myth Frontend machine. I'm having a hell of a time with
> it, as it turns out. My requirements are:
>
> - Must playback HD video
> - Must have gigabit ethernet
> - Must run either fanless or very silently
> - Must have DVI output
> - Really want it to be under $400
>
> I'm actually considering buying a used Mac Mini, with the Core Duo
> 1.66 GHz processor -- it's a couple years old, and can be had for
> under $500 on eBay. The Everex gPC Mini that just came out also
> appears to have the right hardware, but at $500 US is too much money.
>
> My understanding is that one should be able to save big bucks building
> it themselves. I just can't find the right components, esp. the
> motherboard. Any help or recommendations would be welcome!
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron.

HI

My box, is pretty basic, 1 80gb (don't record too much lately), 1 HP
celeron 800ghz, 512 ram, running mythubuntu, only expensive part is my
Hauppauge 350 which comes with decoder integrated and tv output, no more
than $400.

tigerdirect.ca has more powerful machines for less than this with Nvidia
   cards loaded on them, with output for tv, thake a look at them (And
no, I don't work for them, I actually stopped shopping at their retail
shops, their customer service is plain horrible).