AMD vs Intel [Was:Re:OT: PIII vs Celeron]

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 4 17:25:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 04:34:23PM +0000, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> What are you using them for?
> One thing to check out also is what the motherboards are. I'd probably
> go with the AMD systems, but I've seen plenty of older AMD boards that
> were no good (crappy onboard peripherals, blown/puffy caps, etc). I
> don't buy a lot of Intel stuff myself, but I have seen more el-cheapo
> AMD boards than Intel for some reason.

I have seen plenty of cheap crappy boards.  Fortunately I have never
bought any of them myself.

Pretty much if you get an intel chipset board from Asus, it shold be
good and work with any intel CPU (that the chipset supports).  If you go
with an nvidia chipset it should also be quite good, although more
expensive and usually aimed at the SLI crowd.

For AMD, pretty much nvidia is the only chipset worth looking at,
although I have used some via boards with success too, all from Asus of
course (I haven't personally bought any non asus boards for about 15
years now, and I have no intension of changing that).

My mythtv upgrade a few months ago involved a P5K board with a Q6600 CPU
and 2x1GB OCZ PC6400 low latency ram.  I am very happy with it, and it
runs linux great.  If I had not specifically wanted to use an nvidia
video card with it, I would have gone for the P5K-V with onboard intel
video which works quite well too with linux.

--
Len Sorensen