linuxizing a Toshiba Toughbook CF-M34 mark 7, some help needed

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 3 14:33:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 07:28:00PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Someone must, but I'd like to meet that person.

Well there is the option of taking it apart to find the model/part
number of the touch screen.

> No idea, it doesn't show up in lspci, lshw, or lsusb.

If not in usb, then probably serial or some proprietary port.

> We've tried capturing output from pretty much all /dev/* devices, the
> touch pad works with /dev/psaux, /dev/input etc. etc. But there isn't a
> single bit from anything related to touching the screen. It worked in
> Windows though...

You would have to get the baud rate correct though, and in the case of
the one I dealt with a few years ago, you had to initialize it with a
magic sequence of bytes first (whatever they meant I have no idea, but
sending them at startup made it work).

> Sounds like it might be usb then. Dunno what else it could be.

Then something must show up in lsusb.  What does lsusb show?

Doing a bit of searching seems to have found some information though.
The touch screen is apparently made by a company named Gunze, and it is
on /dev/ttyS3.  A driver does exist for it, but it is for Xfree86, and
does not compile or work with Xorg at this time.  With recent kernels,
some people claim the kernel is detecting it and providing info via
/dev/input/mouse2, although upside down on the Y axis or something like
that.

If nothing else it seems there is at least existing source code to look
at for how to write a new driver.

--
Len Sorensen