Pretty please? Need LDAP/Windows integration help

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 3 01:55:48 UTC 2008

Hi all.

I'm in a tizzy trying to figure out how to solve this problem.

A user has two mail servers now:

1) the Linux one that they've loved for years (postfix / courierIMAP /
spamassassin / maia / squirrel / postgrey) that has been running the
whole place reliably for years;

2) The WindowsServer2003 box that they've had to install because to
service the push-mail functions of their Blackberry-toting staff
(Exchange / BEX) -- it's a long story, but they had no choice.

The Linux box will still receive all incoming mail, but stuff destined
for the handful of blackberry users will be forwarded to the BEX box.
That part is easy. The hard part (to me) is figuring out to do a single
sign-on to both servers.

Do we maintain the accounts on the Windows box and have the Linux system
authenticate to that? Or is there a way for the Windows system to
authenticate against OpenLDAP on the Linux box? We've been looking at
all sorts of solutions, involving everything from Samba to Microsoft's
Unix Tools for Windows.

On the web there are plenty of docs on how to integrate LDAP with
Postfix and Courier, and one on how to authenticate Windows boxen to
Samba, but nothing that puts it all together.

Any pointers or hints would really really be appreciated. This is
driving me nuts. Just getting immersed into LDAP has been enough of a
headache, let alone all this other stuff.

- Evan