Various Hardware

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 2 03:52:23 UTC 2008

| From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| Tyler Aviss wrote:
| > And a 14" IBM Monitor (CRT). Clean and working fairly well last time I
| > checked.

| Does anyone still use those?  ;-)

I keep CRTs for a couple of reasons:

- They can support arbitrary resolutions (within range limitations).
  LCDs are really only good at their native resolution.
  Several of my computers won't support the resolutions that

- some antique computers only have odd interfaces that LCDs don't
  support (eg. the Sun mono monitor interface, Atari ST, original
  IBM PC)

All our TVs are still CRTs.  All our program material is SD (Standard
Definition as opposed to High Definition).  There are hints that SD
material often looks worse on HD LCD monitors.  Analogue (SD) sources
are less encumbered than digital sources so we're not anxious to
"upgrade".  (We cannot get over-the-air TV.)