Partitioning for Dual Boot With Vista

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 28 20:51:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 04:35:07PM -0400, jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I have found that when I use FAT32 partitions, if the partition is larger
> than 8 GB, then there are abrupt changes in cluster size at roughly powers
> of 2.
>
> For example, 32 GB, in FAT32, has an optimal size of 32781 MB. Increasing
> the partition size by even one MB doubles the cluster size, and halves the
> number of files which can be stored.
>
> I have no idea whether this applies to NTFS.

No it doesn't.  NTFS is a modern FS, not a piece of crap like FAT.  NTFS
could be a lot better, but it isn't too bad.

All versions of FAT have doubled the cluster size everytime the
partition size doubled.  Perfectly normal.  You can have a rather large
filesystem before the clusters pass 4k though.

Of course smaller clusters means more clusters, and the more clusters
you have the more resources are required to maintain that filesystem.
Larger clusters are more efficient to manage, but also waste more space
of course.

--
Len Sorensen