Anyone job-seeking for a sysadmin position?

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 28 12:27:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 04:56:15PM -0400, Tyler Aviss wrote:
>I believe in most cases the pay-rate is somewhat open to negotiation,
>but I believe the pay-rates can vary a fair bit depending on
>experience (I'm in the IT Department, so I know how much I make but
>not what my co-workers or predecessors did).

This really frustrates me.  You spend time preparing and going to
interviews only to find out afterward, sometimes after more than one
interview, that they are not willing to pay what you would like.  Why
waste everyone's time wasted in the first place?  I am almost certain
that employers often do not advertise or tell you what they are willing
to pay in hopes that you will low ball yourself thus saving them money.

For me this is another example of how the hiring process is entirely
counter productive of the goal of hiring the correct candidate.

--
Neil Watson
System Administrator for hire