How to make eth0 and ppp0 co-exist

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 24 04:52:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:12:46AM -0400, James Knott wrote

> Just create a script that changes the default route to the dial up ISP and
> back to the original, when disconnecting.  The KDE dialer supports that.

  The reason I prefer my solution is that I don't have to drop the
connection, via the router, to my other machine if I nave an ssh
session (or whatever) open to the other machine.  It may look a little
more complex, but it's a lot more convenient not having to disconnect
from my other machine whilst downloading 35 meg linux kernel or Firefox
tarballs<g>.

  I did originally started off with your solution...

waltdnes at d530 ~ $ cat ~/bin/dialup
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sudo /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
/usr/bin/sudo /bin/cp -f /etc/ssmtp/295.ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/pon 295.ca

waltdnes at d530 ~ $ cat ~/bin/dialdown
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/poff
/usr/bin/sudo /bin/cp -f /etc/ssmtp/teksavvy.ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
/usr/bin/sudo /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

  With my new solution, it's...