Cool diagram of Linux + Apps

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 22 19:15:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Christopher Browne wrote:
>>> Compact and fairly dense, but readable...
>>> http://www.makelinux.net/home
>> And also pretty useless, unless you didn't realize that Emacs has a logo.
>>
>> There are a lot of open source apps out there. I don't think people need
>> a chart to tell them that.
>
> I found the Kerenel map (linked to at the bottom) very helpful.
> Instead of linking to wikipedia, entries in this map go to the kernel
> sources.  Very cool.

Gleh.  This hasn't been my week.  :(

Besides not being able to spell 'Kernel' I forgot to point out that
the links to the kernel's sources are AFAICT only available from the
HTML version when zoomed in.  The 'plain HTML' link is in the sidebar
of the interactive Kernel map; when the HTML version opens, click it
to zoom.  Structure names then become links into the source code.

Incidentally, anyone have any pointers for some "easy reading" docs
about the kernel?  I read Tanenbaum's "Operating Systems: Design and
Implementation" 2nd Edition and found I could grok the Minix kernel.
Something similar for Linux would be great.

--
 Scott Elcomb
 http://www.psema4.com/