OT: UTP Residential Cabling Cost

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 21 19:55:46 UTC 2008

Richard Weait wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 18:30 +0000, Robert Brockway wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>> How much should I pay per drop for someone to run cables in my home?
>> Back in the old country (which has a similar economy and currency value)
>> the figure $150/outlet was a general rule for cat5e but it would rise if
>> there was any significant obsticles.  I haven't had to drop cable in
>> Canada yet.
>
> Indeed.
>
> I was in this business many moons ago.  Results and skills vary as
> widely as the details of the job.  Wiring while the house is under
> construction is hugely preferable.  If the house is already complete,
> these are some of the things that the estimators would consider when
> pricing a job.

Several years ago, I got cable modem service from Rogers.  My computer
room was at the far end of my condo, from where the cable TV outlet was.
  Rogers sent a two man team to run the cable for me.  They also pulled
in a couple of pieces of CAT5.  They did a very neat job, up through the
wall separating the living room from the master bedroom, along side some
air ducts, over the bedroom closet & bathroom.  The cables appeared
alongside the ductwork at the laundry room ceiling and down the wall, to
where they pass through to the closet in my computer room.  They only
had to make two small holes in the drywall in the bedroom, which they
then patched.  All in all, a very nice job, which took them 3 hours to
do and was paid for by Rogers.

BTW, the two pieces of CAT5 run from a pair of jacks in my computer room
closet to individual wall jacks in my living room and bedroom.  I
installed all the jacks myself.