Teaching Children Programming and Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 21 19:48:39 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 07:15:10PM -0400, Lance F. Squire wrote:
> I gather from this that ML isn't Machine Language, but some programming
> language that shares the same contraction...

ML is a language (not machine language).  I think the most commonly used
variant today is OCAML which is based on CAML but with some object
oriented extensions (which you can easily ignore).

See http://caml.inria.fr/

CAML dates back to 1985.  ML is much much older.  I don't know when
OCAML was introduced, but it is certainly in active development and use.

Info on ML here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ML_programming_language
It is from the 70s and originalt meant "Meta Language" and was meant to
be able to implement theorem provers.

Standard ML and (O)CAML are the most popular variants although
Microsoft's F# is obviously heavily influenced by ML as they certainly
admit in their info about it.

--
Len Sorensen