Is there an indirect index in Gnumeric?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 21 15:05:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  Situation...
>  - spreadsheet cell A1 has value 25
>  - cell A2 has value 35
>
>  Is there a way to read those cells and use their values as indexes?
> E.g. suppose I want to take =average(C25:C35), without literally writing
> the values, by obtaining the range from the values in cells A1 and A2.

There is a LOOKUP function that allows you to search for values within
a range.  Unfortunately, that doesn't get you an average across a
specified range :-(.

Spreadsheets don't give this much of a degree of indirection :-(.

It wouldn't be difficult to have a function to express this; you'd
essentially define an AVERAGE function that has 4 parameters
indicating the 4 corners of the rectangle.  But it's not something
that is supported in any spreadsheet I know of.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling