Rogers Breaks DNS

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 21 06:12:52 UTC 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Hmm, so if I enter www.gogggle.ca in opera, I get a 404.  If I do it in
> | firefox I get the rogers/yahoo search page.  WTF?
>

>From a end-user POV this isn't necessarily seen as a Bad Thing, as the
search window that pops up does (or it did in my tests) suggest some
reasonable close choices. In this sense (again, from the user's POV)
it's only a variation of a smart browser's punting a 404 result to the
search engine of _their_ choice.

Having said this, Rogers' action does break a number of security
measures. It's ill-advised and dumb but not evil. I'd feel much better
if this was a "feature" that one could opt in or out of.

- Evan

PS: On the good side, when I tried to
https://www.rogers.com/web/myrogers/myRogersHome and got a 500 error, it
was a Red Hat/Apache system that was doing the duty. So at least there's
some use of Linux servers in Rogers, which is more than I could ever
find at Bell.