Rogers Breaks DNS

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 20 19:58:06 UTC 2008

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| Hmm, so if I enter www.gogggle.ca in opera, I get a 404.  If I do it in
| firefox I get the rogers/yahoo search page.  WTF?

That's mysterious.  Do investigate (tcpdump?).

| Also the rogers dns returns the same 3 addresses for all invalid
| searches:
| # host www.gogggle.ca
| www.gogggle.ca has address 8.15.7.107
| www.gogggle.ca has address 63.251.179.17
| www.gogggle.ca has address 65.200.200.47
| Host www.gogggle.ca not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
| Host www.gogggle.ca not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
|
| So does it have an address or does it not?  What a weird result.

As I mentioned in an earlier mail, an undocumented feature of host(1)
is that it looks for A, AAAA, and MX records.  The last two messages
are for the AAAA and MX records.  This would be nice if the output
told you what was queried for.

Use "-t a" to limit the query to A records.