ISP Recommendation? (was "Rogers Breaks DNS")

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 20 15:40:00 UTC 2008

| From: Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Teksavvy's service is great. But they do share Bell's lines in
| many/most places. Bell sucks, and their service as a customer of a 3rd
| party is even more suckish.

Agreed.

| You might want to check into what the status is of DSL in whatever
| neighborhood you're moving too. In mine the service sucks, not because
| of Teksavvy (which has smart staff, quick answers, and overall good
| service thus far), but because of Bell's overextended line-runs from
| the CO can leave you with some suckish speeds that your actual ISP
| cannot remedy.

Right.

My line to the CO (Central Office) was long and nasty so I had
marginal ADSL service for years.  My ADSL service is through Look.ca.
But they use Bell lines.  I'm in the Toronto, not the countryside.

Bell recently upgraded my line, probably with a remote, but I got no
notice.  Until an encrypted-by-marketing Sympatico ad for ADSL2+
arrived.  Somehow, even my modem profile got updated.

I never noticed the upgrade since I don't actually use the ADSL much.

My guess is that many people's ADSL will be upgraded in the next year
or so.  Without notice.  And sales staff won't know.  Perhaps a
question that might tell you the answer is to ask Sympatico if you can
get ADSL2 -- they call it "Total Internet Max".