Rogers Breaks DNS

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 19 20:05:03 UTC 2008

> In the mean time, you are welcome to point at my DNS servers:
>
> 192.139.81.119
> 192.139.81.120

That is great. It is wonderfull that people are so generous on this
list to offer their own services for free.

However, DNS is critical in Internet security chain. While I do
certainly would trust almost anyone on this list offering their DNS
servise -  thats however not how things are supposed to work. You or
someone else may have an entry in your bind9 to point me to your
servers instead to www.royalbank.com. Thats why we are supposed to use
DNS of a "recognized" ISP, not of someone who just randomly offers the
servise on the Internet.

Rogers is doing an enourmosly silly thing. They cut the branch on
which they are sitting. They show how stupid they are, how ignorant
they are, how they do not respect certain well established rules of
behavior on the Internet, and how much they lack the basics of
security understanding. They, probably unwillingly and not being aware
of, are in fact helping terrorists.

When they fool people, they at the same time make people not to trust
the Internet.

zb.