Rogers Breaks DNS

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 19 14:23:50 UTC 2008

Colin McGregor wrote:
> Just to note, Rogers has decided to break DNS. As of now any trip to a
> website with an invalid URL and you will be taken to a Rogers/Yahoo
> search website (with Rogers adverts.). I have called, complained and
> been told "that is the way it is supposed to work".
>
> Is it my imagination or is Rogers totally determined to offer the
> WORST possible Internet service in Canada?
>
> Colin McGregor
>
> P.S.: Sorry if I sound a little grumpy, but I have been running into a
> number of bits recently where stuff was seemingly broken by design,
> and it annoys me...

There are plenty of DNS servers you can query instead of Rogers'.

Try any of 4.2.2.[0-6]:
jamonation at zeus:~$ for i in $(seq 06); do host 4.2.2.$i; done
1.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net.
2.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer vnsc-bak.sys.gtei.net.
3.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer vnsc-lc.sys.gtei.net.
4.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer vnsc-pri-dsl.genuity.net.
5.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer vnsc-bak-dsl.genuity.net.
6.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer vnsc-lc-dsl.genuity.net.

I haven't had any problems with any of those and there isn't any failed
lookup badness.

Note that firefox defaults to google search for locations that don't
resolve, e.g. type http://firefox and you'll get the I'm Feeling Lucky
result. You don't see the branding, but the behaviour of querying a
search engine instead of failing on a host lookup is the same. Sure
there isn't any advertising with Firefox, but something to be aware of.

Jamon