abcde cddb lookup failing -- what's wrong?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 18 17:27:29 UTC 2008

hi folks,

i use abcde to rip cd's to ogg and flac.  in the past it's worked great
but i have a bunch of new cd's to burn and for some reason, abcde has
stopped contacting the cddb servers.  I get this error:

Executing customizable pre-read function... done.
Getting CD track info... Querying the CD for audio tracks...
Grabbing entire CD - tracks: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10
CDDB unavailable.

this never used to happen, and other programs trying to access the same
fredb servers have no trouble.  has anyone else experienced this and/or
have a likely solution?  I thought the issue was in my abcde.conf, but
i;ve replaced it with the dpkg-dist version to no avail.

i appreciate any help you can give.  here's the output of
grep ii cddb /etc/abcde.conf, if anyone finds that helpful.  thanks!
matt
--------------

# CDDB options
# If you wish to use a different CDDB server, edit this line.
CDDBURL="http://gnudb.gnudb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi"

CDDBCOPYLOCAL="y"
CDDBLOCALDIR="$HOME/.cddb"
CDDBLOCALRECURSIVE="y"

#NOCDDBQUERY=n
# Select here if you want to use the locally stored CDDB entries.
# This is useful if you do a lot of editing to those CDDB entries.
# Also, other tools like Grip store CDDB entries under $HOME/.cddb,
CDDBUSELOCAL="y"
# CDDB.
#SHOWCDDBFIELDS=year,genre
#CDDBTOOL=cddb-tool
#CDDBTOOLOPTS=
#  cddb,read,normalize,encode,tag,move,playlist,clean
#   tag implies cddb,read,encode
#   move implies cddb,read,encode,tag
#   playlist implies cddb
ACTIONS=cddb,read,encode,tag,move,playlist,normalize,replaygain,clean
# By default, abcde will do the following to CDDB data to get a useful
# mungefilename receives the CDDB data (artist, track, title, whatever)
# Useful if you have a slow network or CDDB servers seem unresponsive.

--
Matt Price
matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org