Looking for dialup hardware solution

Walter Dnes walterdnes-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 18 02:45:04 UTC 2008

  Being a pack-rat has occasional advantages.  Digging through my
collection of old computer peripherals, I discovered a PCI modem.  This
was proabably from my 1999 Dell which died on me last summer.  I stuck
it in, and it works.  I had a bit of a scare about it not showing up,
but it was my fault.  In building the kernel (make menuconfig) you have
to remember...

    Device Drivers  --->
    Character devices  --->
    Serial drivers  --->
    <*> 8250/16550 and compatible serial support
    (5) Maximum number of 8250/16550 serial ports
    (5) Number of 8250/16550 serial ports to register at runtime

  I'm still interested in the Multitech USB unit for if/when I get a
laptop.