Teaching Children Programming and Linux

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 16 16:21:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Aaron Vegh <aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I guess the corollary question would be: what age could/should one get a kid
> involved in programming? I like the idea of starting a kid on Python or
> Javascript, but when?

It was a different world back then, but I started at 10 in BASIC.
Didn't take long to become relatively fluent and capable of
learning/applying fundamental algorithms.

Disregarding technology (and Education System) changes since that time
I'd have to say that I think 10-12 is roughly the right age to get
kids started.  Children will have developed basic mathematical, logic,
and problem solving skills through school.  These skills can then be
applied to solve programming problems like making a sprite cross the
screen (which then leads pretty directly into gamedev...)

--
 Scott Elcomb
 http://www.psema4.com/