Teaching Children Programming and Linux

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 16 16:11:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Aaron Vegh <aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the links. My daughter is four years old, so it looks like we're
> a little ways away from getting into this. :-)

4 might be a little early.  ;-)

I installed Little Wizard from Synaptic a long time ago to see if it
would live up to it's description.  It never ran and so I never really
looked any further at it.  Does sound like what you might be looking
for though:

"Little Wizard is a development environment for children. It is
intended to be used by primary school children to learn about the main
elements of real computer languages. Using only the mouse, children
can explore programming concepts such as variables, expressions,
loops, conditions, and logical blocks. Every element of the language
is represented by an intuitive icon, making it easy to learn. Little
Wizard works under Linux and Windows 2000/XP."

http://littlewizard.sourceforge.net/index.html

PS - The site mentions that there's little to no documentation; if it
works for you, you might end up having to "build lessons."  (Might
even make for some interesting blog material. :)

--
 Scott Elcomb
 http://www.psema4.com/