Compile asks for ALSA

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 16 01:13:28 UTC 2008

I'm trying to compile powermated
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/powermated/ to go with my Griffin
Powermate) on a Debian amd64 system.

To forestall some other suggestions: I'm aware that powermated
development is discontinued in favour of gizmod, but I've had nothing
but bad luck with gizmod: it will recognize input from the device but
not act on it.  I've had that on a couple machines.  Powermated works
nicely and I'd like to use it for a bit longer.

./configure stalls out with this error:

... [ lots of "checking for ... yes" snipped ]
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for snd_mixer_open in -lasound... no
configure: error: You must have ALSA Installed!

Of course I have ALSA installed.  I have the package that provides the
"alsamixer" binary but it's evidently not looking for that either.  I
assume the reason I can't find alsa*-dev packages for Debian is
because ALSA is now in the kernel.  I've installed kernel source to
match my running kernel binary, but that was a stretch and didn't
work.  Hints or work-arounds accepted!  If more information would be
useful, please let me know.

If anyone is happily using gizmod I'd love to talk to you (I know I
have to use it eventually).

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/