Looking for dialup hardware solution

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 15 19:09:31 UTC 2008

Walter Dnes wrote:
>> There are some USB solutions, that have the advantage that they can
>> also work on laptops
>>

>   I'm looking at getting an ASUS EEE one of these days.  So that's a
> consideration.

The USB-Serial adaptors look to be the cheapest answer, but the
clumsiest (you'll need the adaptor as well as a DB9-DB25 cable to use
with your modem). A USB modem will be more expensive, but more compact,
more portable and more energy efficient (as most of these modems can
draw power from the USB, compared to your sportster which needs its own
brick).

>> (or desktops that will soon ship without regular PCI either)
>>

>   Huh??? Are all add-ons supposed to be USB?  And how are video cards
> going to be handled (assuming you don't want to settle for the onboard
> video chip)?

As I mentioned, PCI-Express is quickly obsoleting both conventional PCI
(no compatibility) and AGP. Many vendors are trying to standardize on
USB for external, PCIe for internal. Many new systems and motherboards
come with at least one or two PCIe slots for RAID, enhanced audio and
video. Many other (and most slower) devices are going the USB route
which is why it is not uncommon to find four or more ports on modern
desktops (in addition to ports for modern mice and keyboards which are
already USB). Heck, even the EeePC has room for three, and it already
has its own KB and mouse....

- Evan