Ubuntu RAM detection

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 15 00:26:07 UTC 2008

Doh!

Thanks for the reminder, high-mem support was off rather than at 4GB
like it should have been. It's weird because I'm fairly sure that my
previous kernel incarnations had high memory working fine but I must
have done something dumb during one of up the updates :-)

Thanks for the reminder, I'm recompiling now so I'd imagine that will
fix the issue.

Cheers,

TJA

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 04:57:14PM -0400, Tyler Aviss wrote:
>> only find about 1GB when linux is booted up? Ubuntu 8/32-bit,
>> self-rolled 2.6.25.9 kernel, on Dual-core Athlon 64. Various apps
>> including "Top" etc only show about a gig of RAM. Not sure if this has
>> something to do with running a 32-bit OS on 64-bit hardware (doubt it,
>> I'm under the 4GB/CPU limit), something weird with the
>> SMP/memory-sharing, (64-bit memory & IO resources not enabled in
>> kernel), or some other issue?
>
> If you run 32bit, then the kernel is limited to 900MB if no HIGHMEM
> support is enabled.  4GB setting allows up to about 3.2GB, and 64GB
> setting allows up to 62 or 63GB or so, while anymore than that requires
> 64bit kernel.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Tyler Aviss