Questions about gaming in Linux / virtualization

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 14 18:57:06 UTC 2008

Scott Elcomb wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Virtualization won't let you use the video card as far as I know, so
>> know 3D accaleration, which makes that idea useless pretty much.
>>
>> It's pretty much down to wine or native.  No other choices if it
>> requires 3D graphics.
>
> The VirtualBox wiki has a comparisons page that shows it doesn't
> support 3D acceleration.  It does mention that VMware has limited
> support for it.
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBox_vs_Others
>
> If 3D support is required then VMware Workstation 5 might be the way
> to go - a couple of search results explain how to load existing OS
> installations into VM's and how to setup 3D for Windows VM's:
>
> http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d_enabling_vm.html
> http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_disk_dualboot.html
>
> I've used Workstation 5 and was very pleased with it.  VirtualBox
> became my virtualizer of choice simply because it's FOSS.

Note the section on this page dealing with 3-D and the 6.5 beta:
http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/ws/releasenotes_ws65_beta.html#features

"Accelerated 3-D graphics on Windows XP guests — Workstation 6.5 virtual
machines now work with applications that use DirectX 9 accelerated
graphics with shaders up through Shader Model 2.0 on Windows XP guests.
Hosts can be running Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Linux."

Jamon