[OT] Software Legalities (GPL, Intellectual Property, and more..)

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 14 23:42:22 UTC 2008

Hi,

First I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my last email about
gaming in Linux / virtualization.

I have been building OpenMTG, a free and open-source (GPL-licensed)
program I intend to be a free version of the popular Magic: The
Gathering collectible card game. It is similar to Firemox but different
in design and architecture, though I might just fork Firemox depending
on what happens.

Eventually, I plan to allow people to play it online via applets and
building a community where people can play against each other, quite
like the existing Magic: Online game but totally free and open source
(using virtual money).

I intend to use it for my research too.

Everyone I've told this idea to says that Wizards of the Coast will
never let me get away with it. That sucks. I'd like to know how they can
prevent me from doing it. Other than obvious statements like "they have
money and therefore good lawyers", I'd like to know the actual legal
issues this would cause, and how I can prevent any problems if possible.
  I've seen things like this been done... eg. Wargus & Freecraft,
Freeciv, and Firemox is still going. Brettspielwelt has many free games,
so does Richard Rognlie's popular PBeM server. If these people can
circumvent the legal issues, why couldn't I? Should I just abandon the
idea altogether?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

--
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
   -- Steven Wright