Questions about gaming in Linux / virtualization

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 15 01:01:38 UTC 2008

You know, while I'd love to support the Wine project a little more in
this, the little incompatibilities have kept me coming back to Cedega
despite the various issues I have run into with it here and there. It
does a fairly decent job on many games, and the newest version (which
is apparently Beta, though that wasn't obvious until it was already
installed, one of those issues...) works on a bunch of games that
didn't work previously.

What's in the 3/5 compatibility rating? I've played games that were
3.5-4 and the major obstacles were often the fancier graphics
features, so depending on whether it's listed as working it might
still do the job for you.

- TJA

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:33 AM, Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a dual-boot Windows XP / Ubuntu Linux machine but I hardly ever use
> the Windows partition.
>
> I'd like to play the new MTG Online III by Wizards of the Coast, but I
> really don't want to reboot every time to do this because I'd like to play
> for 5-10 min at a time here-and-there in work lulls.  Cedega has it listed
> as a 3/5 compatibility rating so it's not worth using that. I tried Wine and
> it just didn't start (after installation). This game shouldn't be too
> demanding the graphics end, so now I'm thinking of running it through a
> virtual PC running Windows.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - Is there a better route other than what I tried above to play the game  in
> Linux?
>
> - What is the best free/open virtualization software? (Xen, etc.)
>
> - Can I ask the virtual machine software to boot my physical Windows
> partition while in Linux without having to install a virtual Windows?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc
>
> --
> Human knowledge belongs to the world.
>  -- Teddy Chin in 'Antitrust' (ref: open source software)

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(647) 302-0942