Questions about gaming in Linux / virtualization

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 14 14:00:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:33 AM, Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
[...]
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>
>> - Can I ask the virtual machine software to boot my physical Windows
>> partition while in Linux without having to install a virtual Windows?
>
> Not having tried it I'm not entirely sure, but I wouldn't be
> surprised.  Give me a few hours and I'll let you know.  :)

According to a thread* on the Virtual Box forums it is possible, at
least with XP.  Whether it's advisable seems open to debate; there are
some specific issues that you'd need to keep in mind if you want to
try it:

 - You'll need 2 hardware profiles - 1 for the dual-boot and 1 for the VM
 - Installing drivers from the VM may screw your Windows install up
 - Saving the VM state may screw your Windows install up

This isn't a thorough summary so if you're interested please make sure
your read the thread - in particular the responses from "kilou" -
before trying it.  Joining the forums and asking further questions
there might not be a bad idea either.

I can't risk my XP partition right now (the wife would be... upset,
lol) so I'm not going to try it yet.  Best of luck!

* http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2019&highlight=partition+dualboot
  or http://tinyurl.com/6zxlkh

--
 Scott Elcomb