Hooking up a SATA drive to a PATA motherboard

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 14 11:44:40 UTC 2008

2008/7/14 Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org>:
>> I recently purchased a PCI adapter card to hook up a recent 1TB SATA
>> drive I purchased. I have a motherboard which is an ASUS A7 running an
>> AMD Athlon processor.
>>
>> Problem is that adding the card means that all my PCI ports will be
>> taken. It seems to matter, since adding the card makes the computer
>> freeze on detection of the SATA card.
>>
>> Another potential cause of conflict is that I already had a PATA IDE
>> raid card. I was wondering if getting one of those SATA adapters
>> (converts a PATA to SATA port) was OK to put on to the RAID card. I
>> already have one SATA power hookup attached to the power supply.
>>
>> Anyone got SATA to work on hardware that old?
>>

> I tried a SATA drive with my ASUS K8N motherboard; no success.

I got a 500Gb SATA HD about a year ago and tried using a Bytecc Serial
ATA PCI card because I had an older Mobo (Gigabyte 7VT600-P-RZ).  I
chose that card because it has a Linux-supported chipset, but on big
copies it would munge the file system every ten minutes or so.  So the
card and drive were detected and moved the data around, but didn't
work properly.  I'm now happily using the HD in an external USB case.
The case is actually a Vantec with both USB and E-SATA should that
ever become common, but I still use it as USB.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org