Looking for dialup hardware solution

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 14 10:05:45 UTC 2008

On Sun Jul 13,2008 08:04:34 AM James Knott wrote:
> FWIW, I've never seen a UART that actually stops the data on
> hardware handshaking.  Changing those status lines only change
> status a bit and generate an interrupt.  It's up to the software to
> stop the data.

Take a look at almost any modern UART chip. Almost all of them can be
programmed for automatic flow control (hardware, software or both;
inbound, outbound or both), handled by the UART itself. I some cases,
the pins used for hardware flow, and the characters used for software
flow can also be selected. Some also have the ability to be set to
automatically toggle RTS when sending data, to control half-duplex
transceivers for EIA-485, etc.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **