Ubuntu RAM detection

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 13 20:57:14 UTC 2008

Hey All,

Anyone know why my system would detect all my RAM (2GB) on boot, but
only find about 1GB when linux is booted up? Ubuntu 8/32-bit,
self-rolled 2.6.25.9 kernel, on Dual-core Athlon 64. Various apps
including "Top" etc only show about a gig of RAM. Not sure if this has
something to do with running a 32-bit OS on 64-bit hardware (doubt it,
I'm under the 4GB/CPU limit), something weird with the
SMP/memory-sharing, (64-bit memory & IO resources not enabled in
kernel), or some other issue?

Any ideas?

- Tyler