Looking for dialup hardware solution

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 13 02:12:58 UTC 2008

Walter Dnes wrote:
>   One embarressing "oops"; I didn't order a built-in PCI modem card for
> a Dell.  Apparently, them thar new-fangled machines don't got no serial
> port.  So much for my faithfull USR X2 external modem.  I suppose I'm
> looking at getting a PCI card retail.  Or are there any other dialup
> solutions.
There are some USB solutions, that have the advantage that they can also
work on laptops (or desktops that will soon ship without regular PCI
either) and can easily be moved from one system to another (which may be
useful considering that this is a backup system).

There are some USB-to-DB9 serial adaptors but I don't know how well they
handle the complexities of RS-232 modem control. There is also a USB
modem you may want to consider that has explicit Linux support -- from a
vendor that has a history of being Linux/Unix friendly:

http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiMobileUSB/

Amazon.com has it for less than $110.

HTH

- Evan