Postfix (mail server) question

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 11 17:32:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> What I'd like to have is a list of users for whom mail is punted to a
> different SMTP host on the local network. For all other users, mail is
> delivered locally (via a Courier IMAP server).

Hi Evan.  You can do it the other way around with an "luser_relay", that
is deliver locally if the user exists otherwise send the mail elsewhere.
luser_relay is mentioned here: http://www.postfix.org/rewrite.html

Alternatively can can simply direct the users on a case by case basis as
William suggests.  My preference in this case would be to use the virtual
map.

Another option is to have Postfix do an LDAP lookup to see what to do with
the email.

luser_relay is nice because it is low maintenance.  If the user doesn't
exist locally send it off to another box to deal with.

Beware of becoming a source of "backscatter" spam though.  Any MTA which
accepts mail for the domain needs to reject mail to non-existant
recipients in the domain or it can be a source of backscatter.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"