google weighs in on bell throttling

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 11 15:41:13 UTC 2008

I experience the same thing with my connection (ADSL, which means
throttled by Bell).
SCP'ing files from work seems to experience some definite speed issues
that I do not experience on my LAN or when the server was previously
hooked up with a different ISP.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Jamon Camisso
> <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> JoeHill wrote:

>>> This bit raised my eyebrows:
>>>
>>> Rogers, which also slows peer-to-peer applications, disputed claims by
>>> CAIP
>>> that such throttling affects services such as voice over internet protocol
>>> (VoIP) and virtual private networks (VPN).
>>>
>>> "This equipment, therefore, does not impact any other traffic such as
>>> VoIP, VPN
>>> and other online streaming applications because their signatures are
>>> different," wrote Ken Engelhart, senior vice-president of regulatory
>>> affairs
>>> for Rogers. "There is therefore no reason why VPN or other encrypted
>>> traffic
>>> would be affected."
>>>
>>> Anyone on Rogers network care to comment on this?
>>>

> I am almost certain that by SSH connection is affected. We have at
> work a "fast" internet connection in both directions, I can download
> large files by using http or https from work server to home with at
> least 10-20 times higher speed than by using scp. SSH speed is just
> exactly at around 35 kBps.
>
> zb.

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support