Digitizing Books

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 9 15:03:47 UTC 2008

Kamran wrote:

> I have a modest collection of books I want to scan into pdfs.  Can
> anyone recommend a company that does this?  Approximately how much did
> it cost you per book?  I am interested to hear about companies that
> leave the books intact and those that destroy the bindings of the books.

That's what I do every night. :-)

I'm not sure whether we would do just any book, but everything we scan ends up
on archive.org.

We do not destroy the bindings, unless we're feeling angry and the book is not
cooperating (just kidding, but some books break as soon as I open them) ;)

This is how we do it:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/theweb/multimedia/2008/03/gallery_internet_archive

I will ask tonight what the criteria are and so on for collections that we can
scan and get back with more tonight if you are interested.

Are the books 'yours'? ie., this collection of books is not under someone elses
copyright and such like?

--
JoeHill