google weighs in on bell throttling

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 9 01:33:41 UTC 2008

On July 8, 2008 02:10:13 pm JoeHill wrote:
> Dave Cramer wrote:
> > http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/07/07/tech-crtc.html
>
> This bit raised my eyebrows:
>
> Rogers, which also slows peer-to-peer applications, disputed claims by CAIP
> that such throttling affects services such as voice over internet protocol
> (VoIP) and virtual private networks (VPN).
>
> "This equipment, therefore, does not impact any other traffic such as VoIP,
> VPN and other online streaming applications because their signatures are
> different," wrote Ken Engelhart, senior vice-president of regulatory
> affairs for Rogers. "There is therefore no reason why VPN or other
> encrypted traffic would be affected."
>
> Anyone on Rogers network care to comment on this?

I regularly transfer SSH up from my home network at my full upstream bandwidth
and download at about 200KB/s.

At the same time, there is definitely BitTorrent throttling in my
neighbourhood.

Frankly, it's not surprising that Rogers is doing this much better than Bell.
In my experience, Bell is an embodiment of incompetence and belligerent
disdain for their customers. Sometimes it feels like Bell reps go out of
their way to provide poor service.