google weighs in on bell throttling

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 8 18:55:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Jamon Camisso
<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> JoeHill wrote:
>>
>> Dave Cramer wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/07/07/tech-crtc.html
>>
>> This bit raised my eyebrows:
>>
>> Rogers, which also slows peer-to-peer applications, disputed claims by
>> CAIP
>> that such throttling affects services such as voice over internet protocol
>> (VoIP) and virtual private networks (VPN).
>>
>> "This equipment, therefore, does not impact any other traffic such as
>> VoIP, VPN
>> and other online streaming applications because their signatures are
>> different," wrote Ken Engelhart, senior vice-president of regulatory
>> affairs
>> for Rogers. "There is therefore no reason why VPN or other encrypted
>> traffic
>> would be affected."
>>
>> Anyone on Rogers network care to comment on this?

I am almost certain that by SSH connection is affected. We have at
work a "fast" internet connection in both directions, I can download
large files by using http or https from work server to home with at
least 10-20 times higher speed than by using scp. SSH speed is just
exactly at around 35 kBps.

zb.