File Permissions, Apache and FTP

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 5 02:50:29 UTC 2008

I have a LAMP environment at home for development and testing, and host
my web sites on a host site.

I have never encountered this problem in many years.

I send a new php file via ftp to the web host in the manner I have
always done. I had no errors locally.

I get a 500 error and this was caused because the php file "was writable
in group"

I created a ticket and got a response that the file permissions were
changed to 744. This made the error go away.

I understand the pieces here but not the whole picture.

Why would apache throw up a fur ball because the file was group
writable? It was world readable.

I confirmed that the file on my machine was group writable. But it
worked fine locally.

gFTP is set to "Preserve file permissions"

I created the file on a windows machine connection to the Linux
directory via Samba.

Help clue me in.

Thanks
Stephen