How can this be prevented .. i.e. pidgin just kicked the shit out of ubuntu good name today (and other distro's?)

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 1 22:38:45 UTC 2008

Like many ten of thousands today (or more),
i awoke to  a totally screwed pidgin on my fiesty

the issue is, some not so bright person(s) at pidgin decided to halt any use of pidgin unless you are using the
latest version .... not even that now, the latest version with a patch needed?

the pidgin web site is massively over loaded.....appears down to many (see ubuntu forms)

so 45 minutes later i get my pidgin working again, and reconnected, which is vital to my work.

the patch seems to just trick the version number.

I am just thinking, how can a linux distro take steps to avoid this type of ass kicking, yet not offend
freedom?

Not sure if it was something somewhat out of pidgin's control (i.e. ICQ protocol update?),
but it seems like there needs to be a better way to handle this stuff,

be interesting to see how long it take ubuntu to come out with a straight forward fix for noobs.

--
ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>