RAID and Linux

Thu Jan 31 17:10:42 UTC 2008

I have inherited a Dell PowerEdge 6800, and I'm about to put Linux
(Debian) on it.  It has three drives right now, but I am likely going to
want to add drives in the future.  I plan to use RAID 4 or 5, and I want
to set it up so that I need to do as little as possible to add more
storage.

Are there any caveats or gotchas I should be aware of?

I started an installation to see what it said about the HD, and it shows
a single SCSI MegaRaid device of 270ish Gb, which fits with what I know
of RAID 4/5 for three 146Gb disks.  I've never used RAID before, and I
don't want to paint myself into a corner.  Thanks.
--

yours,

William